Back in the summer of 2018, I challenged myself to make a bunch of different ornaments out of the same 3 fabrics.
Prior to that, I'd spent the last couple of years coming up with a new pattern almost every month for the Ornament Girls Club, and I wanted to go back and make some of my older patterns again, plus spend more time with some of the newer ones.
It ended up being way more awesome than I expected! It was so much fun to make a big bunch of ornaments purely for the joy of it. I felt like I went back in time for a little bit.
The best part was that some of you decided to do it right along with me, and made your own set of 12 ornaments.
The idea grew bigger, and that fall, we did our first official Ornament Girls Challenge together!
So many of you have been asking when this year's Challenge would begin. Guess what? It's almost time!
I hope you'll join me.. if you do, then by the end of it (and just in time for Christmas), you'll have a set of 12 beautiful, matching ornaments, each made with a different pattern!
When I did this by myself the first time, I made a new ornament every single day, which was a little bit tough (life happens after all).
So don't worry.... for the official Challenge, we'll be making one ornament per WEEK.
How will this work?
Each week, starting next Monday, September 27th, I'll send you an email telling you what that week's challenge pattern is, and I'll show you photos of mine and my team's versions, to hopefully inspire you and give you some ideas.
(Not on my email list yet? Well, what are you waiting for? Join me RIGHT HERE. <-- psst. Joining my email list gets you a free video workshop!)
When you make each week's ornament, you can share it with me (& all the other participants) on Instagram using the hashtag #OrnamentGirlsChallenge (and if you're an OG club member, please also share in our private group!)
What will you need?
In order to make all 12 ornaments, you will need...
1. About 2 to 2-1/2 yards EACH of three different fabrics (this is an approximation - you may use slightly different amounts depending on how you arrange your fabrics on your own ornaments. You can get a little extra if you want to be on the safe side!)
****I recommend 3 fabrics that contrast highly with each other. (I've got some examples at the end of this post)****
2. A LOT of straight pins. I would go ahead and buy yourself a nice big one pound box from HERE.
3. Foam. Okay, so I usually haven't given this info out ahead of time, but here's the thing. I can give you an almost-definite foam list for the first 11 weeks.
But, as we've done every year, the 12th week will coincide with our big bundle of NEW PATTERNS - and just like last year, there will be SEVERAL new patterns to choose from!
And of course, I have no idea which patterns you'll pick, or if you'll even want to purchase the bundle at all (but it's awesome, so I think you will!)
So, let me break this down for you the best I can...
(Note: All of the lined-ball recommendations below can be drawn on by you! We are currently experiencing a foam shortage, and may not have our pre-lined foam available each week. We have all the resources to show you how to do this yourself.)
Weeks 1-11, you'll need:
- 7 - 3" Balls (where 8 lines would be very helpful, but there are a couple here where you could get away with unlined.)
- 2 - 3" Balls (where 6 lines would be very helpful)
- 1 - 3" Balls (where 5 lines would be very helpful)
- 1- Disc (this could change if we do not get our next foam shipment in time, as I know these are hard to find!)
Week 12: ANY of the following (or, all of them!)
- 3" Ball with 6 lines or a Disc, OR...
- 3" Ball with 6 lines (for another of the patterns), OR...
- Heart Shape, OR...
- Two more that are secret for now: We have two new shapes coming soon to our OG Shop, and I don't want to say what they are yet, until I know they are here.)
(But wait til you see this year's Bundle!)
4. Whatever embellishments you'd like to use for all 12 ornaments (I'm going to try and use the same embellishments for all 12 ornaments).
5. Each week's pattern (hint: the first week will be the FREE Basic Star pattern)
What if you don't yet own each week's pattern?
I don't want to leave anyone out, so in order to make this as accessible as possible for everyone to make along with me, each week's pattern will be available at a very special deal! (and some of them are free!)
The special price will be for 3 days only each week, on that week's pattern. I'll send you a link to each week's special deal when I send you your weekly challenge email.
Also, please note, that the first week's pattern is FREE (and again, there are a couple of other freebies in coming weeks, too).
Be sure you're on my email list so you can get each week's Challenge Email! Each week's email will say 'Ornament Challenge Week #' in the subject line so you can spot it easily!
(If you've never tried one of my patterns before.... they are FOOLPROOF. And many of them come with full-length videos, too. So, no worries.. you WILL be able to make these ornaments along with me. :) )
So.. will you join me for this? It's gonna be fun!
I'm doing something I haven't done before. I'm re-using the same fabrics I used last year. I loved them so much, and I've been decorating my house with a lot of pink, and so I'm hoping to keep building onto my collection of pink ornaments (and maybe even get a whole tree filled).
- Moda Forest Frost Glitter 33412 11M
- Moda Rue 1800 44221
- Moda Rue 1800 44226
And, here are the fabrics that some of the OG Team will be using:
Darlene is using these fabrics:
- Red print: Marcus Fabrics, Frosty 'n Fun Collection, #0497
- Shimmer: Kate & Birdie Paper Co. for Moda, Juniper, #13205
- Green: Kona by Robert Kauffman, Tarragon color #316
Tanya will be using these fabrics, all from Hoffman:
- Flowers: T7755 77G-Sage Gold
- Stripe: T7759 436G-Eucalyptus Gold
- Gold: Glimmer Solid by Cloud9
And Sarah is going Grinch-y this year!
- Green: Andover Spectrastatic by Giucy Giuce A-9248-G1 Neon
- Black: Hoffman Brilliant Blender Onyx/Silver G8555 213S
- Peppermint Stripes: Robert Kaufman Flowerhouse Basics FLH-20015-3 Red
Beautiful ornaments are ahead!
I'll see you in your inbox in ONE WEEK for Challenge #1. :)