I just finished up some custom wedding ornaments, and I wanted to write a post about these, because the truth is, this particular order gave me some difficulty. Which means I am EXTRA pleased with the results…they came out so beautifully. My customer sent me materials from her wedding, including pieces of her wedding dress (which of course is always a bit stressful…that is something you do NOT want to mess up!)… there was some satin and netting, a few tiny pieces of beading, and some appliques from the wedding dress. There was also some ribbon with ivy leaves that she wanted a second ornament made from.
As you can see from the photo, everything was just beautiful…that was certainly not the problem. The problem was thinking of a way to make it all work on the ornaments. The appliqued netting pieces were too large as whole pieces, and the ivy leaves on the ribbon proved to be difficult to work with because of their placement along the ribbon.
But did any of this stop me? Nope! (And hence this blog post! :D) I got to work on the first one she wanted done with the satin and appliques…she wanted this to be a folded star style ornament. This was hard because netting and sheer materials generally don’t work too well with this technique. And also, I wasn’t sure at first how I would incorporate those large appliqued pieces. So, I decided to take a risk…I separated two of the appliques from their netting…
…the pearls were a little loose, so I went ahead and secured them (so they will never pop off down the road…how terrible would that be?!)
…and then I placed the appliques in the center of each side of the ornament. I used the satin and sheer netting behind the applique.
I folded the satin for the “quilted star” around the appliques so that were a perfect fit for the center of each side. I did a couple of layers…I thought the white on white was beautiful.
I then used some of the edging applique… (isn’t this gorgeous, by the way?)
…around the circumference of the ornament… it couldn’t have fit any more perfectly. Thrilled, I was!
She also wanted a ribbon wrapped ornament with the ivy ribbon she sent me.
The ivy leaves were far apart from each other on the ribbon…even though I knew I could easily take them off and place them where I wanted, they were glued on, and so the ribbon underneath would be messed up and unusable if I did that. So, wrapping the ball and getting the leaves to be where I wanted them was not easy.
It took a little manipulation, but I managed to do it. Once I had the ball covered and I was happy with how it looked so far, I went ahead and took a few leaves from the leftover ribbon, and added them to the ornament to make it perfect. I embellished it with some of the tiny pearl strands that she had sent, along with some pearl corsage pins.
Here are the finished ornaments…
So simple, but so pretty!
And I just love this one…I want to keep it for myself. But I guess that’d be a little weird, since it’s not from MY wedding dress. :D
Please let me know what you think!