Back in the summer of 2018, I challenged myself to make a bunch of different ornaments out of the same 3 fabrics.
We'd spent the last couple of years coming up with a new pattern almost every month for the Ornament Girls Club, and I wanted to go back and make some of the older patterns again, plus spend more time playing around with some of the newer ones.
It ended up being way more awesome than I expected! It was so much fun to make a big bunch of ornaments purely for the joy of it. I felt like I went back in time for a little bit.
The best part was that some of you decided to do it right along with me, and made your own set of 12 ornaments.
The idea grew bigger, and that fall, we did our first official Ornament Girls Challenge together!
Isn't it crazy that this year will be the 6th year?
So many of you have been asking when this year's Challenge would begin. Guess what? It's almost time!
I hope you'll join me.. if you do, then by the end of it (and just in time for Christmas), you'll have a set of 12 beautiful, matching ornaments, each made with a different pattern!
When I did this by myself the first time, I made a new ornament every single day, which was a little bit tough (life happens after all).
So don't worry.... for the official Challenge, we'll be making one ornament per WEEK.
How will this work?
Each week, starting on Monday, September 25th, I'll send you an email telling you what that week's challenge pattern is, and I'll show you photos of mine and my team's versions, to hopefully inspire you and give you some ideas.
(Not on my email list yet? Well, what are you waiting for? Join me RIGHT HERE. <-- psst. Joining my email list gets you a free video workshop!)
When you make each week's ornament, you can share it with me (& all the other participants) on Instagram using the hashtag #OrnamentGirlsChallenge (and if you're an OG club member, please also share in our private group!)
What will you need?
In order to make all 12 ornaments, you will need...
1. About 2 to 2-1/2 yards EACH of three different fabrics (this is a generous approximation - you may use slightly different amounts depending on how you arrange your fabrics on your own ornaments. We've been told each year that many of you have some left over when you start with this amount, but we're just trying to err on the safe side.)
****I recommend 3 fabrics that contrast highly with each other. (I've got some examples at the end of this post)****
2. A LOT of straight pins. I would go ahead and buy yourself a nice big one pound box from HERE.
3. Foam. Okay, so during the first few challenges, I didn't give this info out ahead of time (because I didn't always have the whole thing planned out that far in advance lol).... but right now, I can give you an almost-definite foam list for the first 11 weeks.
But, as we've done every year, the 12th week will coincide with our big bundle of NEW PATTERNS - and just like last year, there will be SEVERAL new patterns to choose from.
And of course, I have no idea which patterns you'll pick, or if you'll even want to purchase the bundle at all (but it's awesome, so I think you will!)
So, let me break this down for you the best I can...
(Note: All of the lined-ball recommendations below can be drawn on by you! Due to ever-changing supply availability, we may not always have our pre-lined foam available each week. But, we DO have all the resources to show you how to do this yourself.)
Weeks 1-11, you'll need:
- 5 - 3" Balls (where 8 lines would be very helpful)
- 1 - 3" Balls (where 6 lines would be very helpful)
- 1 - 3" Balls (where 5 lines would be very helpful)
- 1 - 3" Balls (where 4 lines would be very helpful)
- 2 - Large Hemi
- 1 - Disc
Week 12: ANY (or all) of the following:
- 2 - 3" Balls (where 6 lines would be very helpful)
- 1 - 3" Balls (where 5 lines would be very helpful)
- 1 - Wedge
- 1 - Cube
(Wait til you see this year's Bundle! We DO plan to have another special Foam Bundle available in December for this.)
4. Whatever embellishments you'd like to use for all 12 ornaments.
5. Each week's pattern (hint: the first week will be the FREE Basic Star pattern)
What if you don't yet own each week's pattern?
I don't want to leave anyone out, so in order to make this as accessible as possible for everyone to make along with me, each week's pattern will be available at a very special deal!
The special price will be for one week only, on that week's pattern. I'll send you a link to each week's special deal when I send you your weekly challenge email.
Also, please note, that the first week's pattern is FREE.
Be sure you're on my email list so you can get each week's Challenge Email! Each week's email will say 'Ornament Challenge Week #' in the subject line so you can spot it easily!
(If you've never tried one of our patterns before.... they are FOOLPROOF. And many of them come with full-length videos, too. So, no worries.. you WILL be able to make these ornaments along with me. :) )
So.. will you join me for this? It's gonna be fun!
Here are the fabrics the OG Team & I will be using this year:
Darlene will be using these fabrics:
- Plaid: Winter Garden by Color Principle for Henry Glass & Co. Patt. 2827
Red: Robert Kaufman Fabrics Kona -Scarlet
Gold: Hoffman Fabrics 'Joyful Traditions' S# T7752
Tanya will be using these fabrics:
- Blue Tonal Scroll: StudioRK for Robert Kaufman, Mystic Moon, Design #21638
- Silver: Benartex, Precious Metals - by KANVAS, CM8867
- Light Blue: Quilt Source Canada, Cracked Ice - QSB-ST-CI-219
Monica is using these fabrics:
RED: RJR, 3163-002 Shiny Objects - Holiday Twinkle - Dazzling Damask - Radiant Ruby Metallic Fabric
- BLACK: RJR, 3481-001 Shiny Objects - Precious Metals - Lustrous Lace - Black Metallic Fabric
WHITE: Basic Gray for Moda, Grunge Glitter - White Paper 30150 101GL
I am using these fabrics:
- Red: Henry Glass Folio Basics 7755 88
- Cream: Moda Sparkle & Shine Cream 33608 11GL
- Holly: Moda Poinsettia Plaza 44294 11
Beautiful ornaments are ahead!
I'll see you in your inbox on September 25th, for Challenge #1. :)