Back in the summer of 2018, I challenged myself to make a bunch of different ornaments out of the same 3 fabrics.
Prior to that, we'd spent the last couple of years coming up with a new pattern almost every month for the Ornament Girls Club, and I wanted to go back and make some of the older patterns again, plus spend more time with some of the newer ones.
It ended up being way more awesome than I expected! It was so much fun to make a big bunch of ornaments purely for the joy of it. I felt like I went back in time for a little bit.
The best part was that some of you decided to do it right along with me, and made your own set of 12 ornaments.
The idea grew bigger, and that fall, we did our first official Ornament Girls Challenge together!
So many of you have been asking when this year's Challenge would begin. Guess what? It's almost time!
I hope you'll join me.. if you do, then by the end of it (and just in time for Christmas), you'll have a set of 12 beautiful, matching ornaments, each made with a different pattern!
When I did this by myself the first time, I made a new ornament every single day, which was a little bit tough (life happens after all).
So don't worry.... for the official Challenge, we'll be making one ornament per WEEK.
How will this work?
Each week, starting next Monday, September 26th, I'll send you an email telling you what that week's challenge pattern is, and I'll show you photos of mine and my team's versions, to hopefully inspire you and give you some ideas.
(Not on my email list yet? Well, what are you waiting for? Join me RIGHT HERE. <-- psst. Joining my email list gets you a free video workshop!)
When you make each week's ornament, you can share it with me (& all the other participants) on Instagram using the hashtag #OrnamentGirlsChallenge (and if you're an OG club member, please also share in our private group!)
What will you need?
In order to make all 12 ornaments, you will need...
1. About 2 to 2-1/2 yards EACH of three different fabrics (this is an approximation - you may use slightly different amounts depending on how you arrange your fabrics on your own ornaments. You can get a little extra if you want to be on the safe side!)
****I recommend 3 fabrics that contrast highly with each other. (I've got some examples at the end of this post)****
2. A LOT of straight pins. I would go ahead and buy yourself a nice big one pound box from HERE.
3. Foam. Okay, so during the first few challenges, I didn't give this info out ahead of time (because I didn't always have the whole thing planned out that far in advance! lol).... but here's the thing. Right now, I can give you an almost-definite foam list for the first 11 weeks.
But, as we've done every year, the 12th week will coincide with our big bundle of NEW PATTERNS - and just like last year, there will be SEVERAL new patterns to choose from!
And of course, I have no idea which patterns you'll pick, or if you'll even want to purchase the bundle at all (but it's awesome, so I think you will!)
So, let me break this down for you the best I can...
(Note: All of the lined-ball recommendations below can be drawn on by you! Due to ever-changing supply availability, we may not always have our pre-lined foam available each week. We have all the resources to show you how to do this yourself.)
Weeks 1-11, you'll need:
- 5 - 3" Balls (where 8 lines would be very helpful)
- 4 - 3" Balls (where 6 lines would be very helpful)
- 1 - 3" Balls (where 5 lines would be very helpful)
- 1 - Bell (well, that totally gives away one of the patterns, doesn't it?)
Week 12: ANY of the following (or, all of them!)
- 3" Ball with 6 lines, OR...
- a Cube shape, OR...
- a Wedge shape, OR...
- a Star shape, OR...
- One more that is secret for now: We have a new shape coming soon to our OG Shop!
(Wait til you see this year's Bundle! We DO plan to have another special Foam Bundle available in December for this.)
4. Whatever embellishments you'd like to use for all 12 ornaments.
5. Each week's pattern (hint: the first week will be the FREE Basic Star pattern)
What if you don't yet own each week's pattern?
I don't want to leave anyone out, so in order to make this as accessible as possible for everyone to make along with me, each week's pattern will be available at a very special deal! (and some of them are free!)
The special price will be for one week only, on that week's pattern. I'll send you a link to each week's special deal when I send you your weekly challenge email.
Also, please note, that the first week's pattern is FREE (and again, there are a couple of other freebies in coming weeks, too).
Be sure you're on my email list so you can get each week's Challenge Email! Each week's email will say 'Ornament Challenge Week #' in the subject line so you can spot it easily!
(If you've never tried one of my patterns before.... they are FOOLPROOF. And many of them come with full-length videos, too. So, no worries.. you WILL be able to make these ornaments along with me. :) )
So.. will you join me for this? It's gonna be fun!
During the last two years, I used the same fabrics, but I'm changing it up this year. (I AM sticking with fabrics by 3 Sisters for Moda though.)
They are all from the Poinsettia Plaza collection:
- Crimson: 44295 12
- Cream: 44296 23
- Holly: 44293 14
And, here are the fabrics that some of the OG Team will be using:
Darlene is using these fabrics:
- Red print: Moda #33607
- Gold: Glimmer Solid by Cloud9 in Champagne
- Poinsettia Print: Moda #33602
Tanya will be using these fabrics, all from Westrade Textiles:
- Multi Spot Blender - Fuchsia
- Multi Spot Blender - Green
- Tone on Tone Blender - White
And Sarah is using these fabrics:
- Brown w/ sprinkles: Robert Kaufman Tinsel Town Gingerbread Sprinkles 21018-468
- White: Moda Merry Little Christmas Let your Heart Be Light 55245 19
- Green: Robert Kaufman Tinsel Town Holly Foil 21019-240
Beautiful ornaments are ahead!
I'll see you in your inbox in ONE WEEK for Challenge #1. :)