≡ Menu

How to make glitter Christmas ornaments | DIY

glitter ornaments handmade with clear plastic bulbs

(You can download a free PDF file of this tutorial…just click HERE)

UPDATES:

1. I tried these with plastic bulbs, and they look great! Read about it HERE.
  2. The Pledge product I used in this project is now called: Pledge floor care multi-surface finish. One of our lovely readers contacted Pledge and found out that this is the same exact product…she didn’t leave her name, but I sincerely thank her for clearing this up for us!

I’ve had lots of people asking me how I made my glitter birthstone ornaments, so I thought doing a tutorial would be a good idea. This would also be a GREAT project to do with kids, for an awesome handmade Christmas gift idea, because they are so quick and easy.

And the best part? The glitter is inside the glass ball, so you can admire them all you want without becoming sparkly head to toe yourself.

Unless you want to be sparkly head to toe, and in that case, I can’t help you. At least not in this blog post.

You will need:

• clear glass ornaments (Joann’s and Michael’s carry them during the Christmas season, or you can get them online right HERE).
  • glitter (this is my favorite glitter).
  • okay, are you ready for this one? floor wax. (sounds weird, yes, but this is the amazing secret ingredient.)

First, make sure you start with a clean ornament. I use rubbing alcohol to clean them, and I explain how and why in a previous blog post I wrote about how to make these glass Easter ornaments.

Now, about the floor cleaner…I read about this idea more than a year ago when I was reading a crafting forum somewhere, and I completely dismissed it. I had visions of bald-headed men and toxic looking yellow Lysol-like stuff, and decided that whoever had had this idea must have been a little cuckoo. Then one day I was shopping in the cleaning products section of the black hole of doom, oops I mean Walmart, and I saw this:

pledge floor cleaner glitter ornaments

I immediately realized that this was exactly what that person must have been talking about, so I decided to try it out…and I am so glad I did, because it works a-MAAAzing.

(ps. The look of the bottle has changed… you can see what it looks like now, right HERE.)

So pour a little bit into the ornament, and swirl it around. I don’t shake it, because then it gets kind of bubbly.

swirl floor cleaner around inside glass ornament

Then pour the excess back into the bottle. This stuff is a little bit expensive, but it goes a long way. In fact, this bottle is the only bottle I’ve bought…and look how little I’ve used. I might even use it to clean my floors one day.

pour excess floor cleaner back in bottle

Now pour in your glitter and swirl it around the same way as you did with the floor cleaner. You could shake it, but for some unexplainable reason, I don’t like to…I like to swirl it all nice and evenly around the glass. (I guess I’m weird.)

swirl glitter around inside glass ornament

And voila!

i love elvis

oops, sorry. You wanted to see the ornament…

glitter glass ornament

Let it dry for a little while before putting the cap back on…I always take the little wire out of the cap, and put the cap on first (put a little glue around the inside of the cap for security):

clear glass ornament lid

and then stick the wire back in…this will keep it from scratching off the glitter on the way in.

put cap back on glass ornament

All done!

But wait!

Look at what a few little scrapbook stickers and some rhinestones can do…

how to make glitter ornaments

There are endless ways you could dress these up…any other ideas?

(P.S. You can download a free PDF file of this tutorial…just click HERE)

UPDATES:

1. I tried these with plastic bulbs, and they look great! Read about it HERE.

{ 258 comments… add one }

• Ashley December 22, 2012, 11:48 pm

Can you use other floor cleaner, like fabuloso? Or just regular glue? Maybe water down the glue?

• ornamentgirl September 15, 2013, 1:08 am

Ashely, any kind of floor finish that’s acrylic based and dries clear, would probably work just as well. Also, a watered down glue would work, as long as it’s a kind that will dry clear, like Mod Podge.

The floor wax is great just because it’s so easy and quick. :)

• Charlene Mann December 25, 2012, 3:24 am

I’ve gotta tell you, I just did this glitter ornament Thursday with a group of about 50 church kids, ages 3 thru High School! It’s really hard to find a craft that appeals to all age groups ;) They loved it!! Tons of parents came up to me afterwards and asked “HOW did you DO that?” I just smiled and said, “Magic”. Thank you for a magical craft!
    BTW, we embellished the ornaments with some glittery snowflake stickers I found at Michaels.

• ornamentgirl September 15, 2013, 1:09 am

That’s so awesome! :)

• Esther November 18, 2013, 5:10 am

how long does it take to make each of these? I’m considering making them in my child’s Kindergarten class….will it be too complicated for them?

• collette November 26, 2013, 7:36 am

These take 3 minutes to dry. Also, for kindergartners, sticker decorations are fun and easy. I hope this helps.

• Julie Q January 3, 2013, 6:25 am

I am experimenting right now with both the glitter ornaments and the ones you paint on the inside. I was wondering how long you let each of them dry before you put the caps back on. The glitter ones seem to dry pretty quickly. I left the painted ones upside down over-night and they still seem pretty wet. Also a lot of paint dripped out, maybe I used to much? I put them out in the garage because it is cold and I thought they might dry quicker. I would like to be able to perfect both of these ornaments so I can give them as gifts throughout the year. They are absolutely gorgeous and I just want to make sure I am doing everything right so I don’t wasted a bunch of money. Thanks :)

• ornamentgirl September 15, 2013, 1:13 am

Julie, the painted ones definitely take awhile to dry.. I’ve had to leave them dry for at least a day. It’s because not only do they need the time to dry, they also need that time for the excess to drip out, like you mentioned, and that part is slooowww.

• Kay F November 26, 2013, 3:06 am

I turned my painted one up over the air vent and it dried in no time. That was after I had left it alone on its own to dry for a couple of days. The forced air helped it.

• Anonymous December 1, 2013, 11:15 pm

We have made the painted ones several times and the grandchildren have made them for their teachers. My biggest complaint about them it takes forever to dry and sometimes the paint cracks. I’m looking forward to doing the glitter ones with my grandchildren. I think we will add the glitter snowflakes also.

• Ash Lauren January 13, 2013, 12:17 am

I love this tutorial – I know it’s way after Christmas, but I’m hoping my town has some of these on major discount somewhere so I can make some right NOW! haha!

Also, I noticed while I was looking for tutorials that this website http://www.furnishburnish.com/diy/diy-glitter-ornaments/ is using the photo of your 2 ornaments with the snowflakes and rhinestones on it without any credit. I’m a major advocate of copyright laws and give credit where credit is due and I thought I would let you know.

• ornamentgirl January 13, 2013, 12:44 am

I’m glad you like the tutorial, Ash! And THANK YOU for letting me know about the photo. Grrrr… I just sent them an email about it. If I don’t hear back, I’ll be posting it on their facebook page next! Thank you so much. I hope you are able to find the ornaments somewhere on clearance. If not, they do carry them at hobbylobby.com (just not at a clearance price!).

• Holly Young May 20, 2013, 4:23 pm

Just so you know, they STILL have YOUR PIC on their site with NO CREDIT. Talk about gutsy.

• ornamentgirl May 20, 2013, 10:09 pm

Ugh! I had forgotten about this one; thank you so much for reminding me. This time, I sent them a DMCA Notice of Copyright Infringement. (Second one I’ve had to send this week!) I have to see a lawyer tomorrow about another case of copyright infringement involving one of my patterns… I may as well bring this up to him as well, since this website ignored me the first time I emailed!

Ugh, I just don’t get how people can do this! :(

• Gayle March 13, 2013, 12:03 am

Great idea! Love these clear ornaments. The ideas are endless in decorating them!

• Anna July 15, 2013, 10:15 am

I went to 2 stores today and I can’t seem to find the pledge you use or any of the bottles that say “future shine” :( But I just really wanted to know how well the ornaments you made are holding up. I read on another girls blog that her glitter had shaken off and laid at the bottom of her ornament. HOWEVER, she used Mop and Glo, so maybe that is why? Thanks!

• ornamentgirl July 15, 2013, 10:49 pm

Oh no, I hope they are still selling it! I got mine at Walmart… I’ll check again next time I’m there to see if they still carry it and let you know.

Yeah, I don’t know about the Mop and Glo, but I do know that it’s the acrylic base in the Pledge floor wax that makes it work. So maybe another clear floor wax with an acrylic base will work just as well. Another idea is acrylic sealer that you can get in craft or home improvement stores. That’s what I used to use before I starting using the Pledge, and it worked really well, but it just has an icky smell. It’s really strong. You also have to work fast because it dries so quick. But, if you can’t find the Pledge, that’s probably the next best option.

• Any August 14, 2013, 11:38 am

I could not find the Future floor polish so i tried what my local Walmart had. It is called Quick Shine Floor Finish, by Halloway House. It worked great! My kids and i are experimenting and glittering everything clear glass! I did find that vinegar also removes it from the outside of the glass and off my hands and off the table and off the chairs…..and best of all off the children! Thanks for a great post!

• La eta collins August 15, 2013, 4:07 am

Can you use the plastic ornaments instead of glass ornaments

• David Myers September 15, 2013, 12:23 am

on the glitter balls I wondered same thing why watered down glue could not work. Is there a issue using glue?

• ornamentgirl September 15, 2013, 12:58 am

A watered down glue would work too, as long as it’s something that will dry clear. For example, Mod Podge.

This acrylic floor cleaner is just super easy and quick. :)

• dorothy petrarca September 23, 2013, 3:53 am

Where did you find orange glitter? I could only finc it in very small amounts–want to do a lot of ornaments so need more. Any suggestions?

• ornamentgirl October 2, 2013, 4:03 am

Hi Dorothy… I got mine at Michael’s. It was the Martha Stewart brand. They come in both small and large sizes.

• Julia September 24, 2013, 3:15 pm

For anyone wondering.. the pledge with future shine is now called ‘pledge floor care multi-surface finish’. It’s the same exact thing, they just changed the name. :)

• ornamentgirl October 1, 2013, 9:39 pm

Julia, thanks so much for letting us know about that! :)

• Lis October 25, 2013, 7:38 pm

Good Morning – I’m new to this & have been reading your comments. I see that you listed the new name for the Pledge is Pledge floor care multi-surface finish. This may sound ridiculous, but it does say “finish”? The only one I’m seeing is Pledge floor care multi-surface cleaner. It is not the same, correct? Thank you for your time.

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 5:46 am

Hi Lis… I need to find that out for you. I keep forgetting to check every time I go to the store, because I still have my original bottle of the Pledge in the photo! I’m writing it down right now though, on my list (otherwise I’ll forget again!), and I will update this article as soon as I see what’s out there, and test them out.

• Anonymous November 15, 2013, 9:24 pm

Did you find out if pledge with name finish is same as cleaner name?

• ornamentgirl November 15, 2013, 9:31 pm

I am going to the store later today, and I will pick up the cleaner and try it out. I’ll come back and update you as soon as I see how it works.

• Beka October 6, 2013, 12:54 pm

Dang! I wish I had Ted about the acrylic first! I glittered 6 ornaments and wondered why it was such a thin coat. Now I know! Back to Hobby Lobby and Walmart!

• Beka October 6, 2013, 5:27 pm

OK, I braved Wal-Mart at 3am. I bought the acrylic Pledge and tried again. I’m using aqua, light green, and silver. Silver coats the best, by far. The other two colors are spotty and see-through. It looks awful. Have you ever tried doing two coats, or painting the inside after the floor polish dries? What a mess!

• ornamentgirl October 6, 2013, 10:43 pm

Hi Beka…hmmm… I wonder what’s happening. What kind of glitter did you use… did you use a really fine glitter? I have definitely found that course glitter doesn’t coat nearly as well. The glitter I used was Martha Stewart fine glitter. It’s a little more expensive but it works GREAT. I’ve never had an issue with any of the colors not covering well.

If that’s not it…. it could possibly be that you didn’t drain enough of the floor polish out of the ornament before adding the glitter. You would want to make sure that you get almost every bit of it out, so that’s it’s just wet enough for the glitter to adhere. If there was too much left, it would run a little as it dried and end up looking spotty.

Do you think either of those two things could be causing the problem? If not, let me know and I’ll keep brainstorming.

Oh, and no, i’ve never tried doing a second coat. I’m not sure how that would work out. It might work okay, but I’d be afraid that using another coat of the polish would ruin the first coat of glitter. I’ve never tried though so I can’t say for sure!

• Beka October 9, 2013, 2:37 pm

I think it’d ruin the 1st coat too. I didn’t drain it till it was almost dry, I bet that’s the problem. I’m using Martha Stewart glitter.

• Pat Zuelke November 8, 2013, 6:25 am

I have been making these kinds of Xmas Balls for years. Used to work at Hobby Lobby. The way I make them is, I use spray adhesive and so far I have had my balls for over 10 years and it is just the way I made them.

• Anonymous November 10, 2013, 8:01 am

How do you get the spray adhesive to go into the bulb to make sure that it coats
            real well all over the inside?

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 5:43 am

I’m not sure with the spray adhesive, but I did used to use a clear acrylic spray. It wasn’t always easy to not make a mess… but the acrylic is “liquidy” once you spray it in the ornament, so you can spray a little, and then kind of roll it around. I guess the only real downside is, it has a very strong smell…

I am not sure if the spray adhesive would work the same. It’s probably a little stickier..

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 5:40 am

Thanks for sharing, Pat!

• Samantha October 22, 2013, 11:54 am

I went to consumercraft.com to purchase my bulbs and they have really good pricing even with having to possibly pay for shipping. Really good selection also.

• Tammy October 27, 2013, 5:50 am

Can you use pledge clean and shine multi-surface cleaner?

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 5:47 am

Tammy, I need to try it out before I can say for sure. I’ll add an update to the article as soon as I know.

• Melinda October 29, 2013, 12:36 pm

Where do you buy the clear glass ornaments from as I can’t seem to find the ones where the top goes back on with the wire?

Thanks

• Tammy October 30, 2013, 3:35 am

I got some from wal-mart

• Beka November 8, 2013, 9:10 pm

Hobby Lobby & Michael’s carries them

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 5:49 am

Thanks, Beka and Tammy! Melinda, I’ve bought them from the places Beka and Tammy mentioned, as well as JoAnns. Someone else posted here that they also found them at consumercrafts.com.

• Dawn November 2, 2013, 12:46 am

I’ve found clear glass ornaments at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, Walmart, and if you have one near you, Garden Ridge.

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 5:49 am

Thanks, Dawn!

• Anonymous November 17, 2013, 12:12 am

AC Moore too!

• Jimilyn November 24, 2013, 3:45 pm

I’ve ordered them through Amazon before.

• margie Capeland November 5, 2013, 11:37 am

I went to Hobby Lobby tonight and they have ALL Christmas things at 50% off and it is Nov. 4, 2013. They sell 12 balls in a box for $7.99 so this week it is 50% off of that so it is really cheap. Micheal has 6 balls in a box for $5.99 and 25 % off. I got them last week and so now I am taking them back as the ones at Hobby Lobby are less per ball. I was so glad I didn’t have to go with a coupon everyday to pick up one box as I have to do 150 of them for a church Christmas banquet. I made them last year also when you could get the floor wax. Now I am going to try the pledge floor care mlti-surface finish because Walmart and Target and Winn Dixie did not carry the floor wax any longer. Hope it works.

• Kristina November 10, 2013, 11:38 pm

I’ve tried ordering offline from hobby lobby but I can’t find the bunks at all on the website u have any idea what it is listed under

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 5:51 am

Margie, will you let us know how they come out?

• Crystal November 7, 2013, 11:10 am

I am so excited to make my first set of these….nervous but still excited. I am making 9 of them for a group of women that I run a Facebook page with. I can’t wait to give these to them.

• Courtney November 7, 2013, 12:38 pm

Does it have to be glass ornament or can I use plastic ones also? By the way they are sooo pretty and you did a fabulous job!!! Can’t wait to make some!

• Kristina November 10, 2013, 11:15 pm

Do you have to use plastic? Or does it work better with glass

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 5:56 am

Kristina, I’ve done it with both, and they both seem to work well. :)

• Anonymous November 11, 2013, 1:04 pm

Wow,wow ,it is so beautiful!

• Megan November 12, 2013, 6:06 am

Hello I bought supplies to make these but couldn’t find that floor cleaner but I did fine pledge floor are multi surface concentrated cleaner doesn’t state anything about acrylic based do you think it will work? Thanks

• Anonymous November 12, 2013, 6:08 am

Floor care* and find not fine. :)

• Anonymous November 14, 2013, 5:25 am

a grammer editor really? These people are exchanging creative ideas among themselves. You should try it. just saying:(

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 5:57 am

Hi Megan… I need to test out that cleaner and see if it works the same. I’ll update this article as soon as I know. :)

• Lynda November 13, 2013, 7:37 am

Hi! Thx so much for sharing this idea ! One question , about how much glitter. I will be making these with 15 pre-k kids. I would like to measure out the glitter for each child to pour in the balls themselves. Thx mrs potter

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 6:00 am

Hi ..It actually only takes a little bit of glitter for each ornament; the problem is, that you have to put enough in to begin with so you can get it coated fast enough before it dries… and a bunch of it gets dumped back out after it’s fully coated. So, even though it only takes a small amount, you’ll probably need to give them a little extra to start out with…

• Sabrina November 13, 2013, 8:39 am

Hi, I was wondering if I could paint the ornaments and glitter them both, and if so, would I use the same procedure, and just replace the glue instead of the floor cleaner

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 6:03 am

Hi Sabrina…I think you are talking about painting and glittering separate ornaments, right? If so, yes, just use paint instead of the floor wax. If it’s a thick paint, you might have to use a tiny bit of a thinner with the paint to help it coat (some paints don’t need any thinner though).

• Anonymous November 14, 2013, 10:07 pm

“pledge floor care multi-surface finish with future shine” is no longer produced under this name. They changed the name to “pledge floor care multi-surface finish” in December of 2012 (“a clear bottle, with clear solution, with a boot on the label” ~ Wendy from SC Johnson said).

They guaranteed me it is the same product formula. There may be bottles of “pledge floor care multi-surface finish with Future Shine” still in retail stores but they were produced before December of 2012.

“pledge floor care multi-surface finish” and “pledge floor care multi-surface finish with Future Shine” are the same exact formula. SC Johnson confirmed and changed the name back in December of 2012

I have been researching to make these for a GNO project and I found this for all the questions on the Pledge…Hope it helps.

• ornamentgirl November 14, 2013, 11:51 pm

Thank you so much… this helps a LOT. I really appreciate you letting us know what you found out. :)

• Abby December 17, 2013, 11:48 pm

I accidentally bought the wood finish instead of the multi surface finish. I wonder if it will work or if I need to exchange it :/

• Nikki November 14, 2013, 10:30 pm

Hi! Love the floor wax idea. I will be trying it soon. I have been glittering a few ornaments lately with a product labeled specifically for glittering ornaments. Floor wax will definitely last longer! Some of mine have come out with some thin areas and thick in others. I guess I’m not draining them well enough? Is there a way to repair them or will I have to start over? :(

• ornamentgirl November 15, 2013, 12:11 am

Hi Nikki! Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a way to fix them once I messed them up… it seems like it just messes them up more…

It does sound like they weren’t drained enough. I like to make sure there is no more liquid at all pooling in the bottom before I add the glitter. You don’t need the inside of the ornament to be soaked; it just needs to be wet enough for the glitter to stick… so it won’t hurt to let it drain an extra couple of minutes. (Then again, maybe using the floor wax instead will solve the problem! :D)

I hope that helps! :)

• Anonymous November 15, 2013, 12:49 am

I actually just found some pledge 4-in-1 floor care wood cleaner under my sink and thought I would give it a try. Turned out beautifully! Yay for Pledge! Thanks!

• Pamela November 17, 2013, 1:47 am

This is just a fyi, you can actually buy a glue that is specifically for adding glitter to the inside of glass or plastic ornaments. I bought mine at Michaels last year for around $2.00. Its a 2oz. bottle and its called “Glitter-It!” and the companys name is Beacon. They also have a website, beaconcreates.com. I thought this may be helpful to some of you guys, happy glittering!

• Anonymous November 17, 2013, 1:05 pm

I tried to do the glitter ornaments. I’m not sure what I did wrong… I made them yesterday w the pledge and put glitter in them. Next day went to put the top on one and all the glitter was coming off.

• Kathy November 19, 2013, 8:31 am

For any australians out there long life floor sealant (yellow bottle, floor cleaning section, woolworths) works well. Wear gloves.

• Anonymous November 22, 2013, 9:59 am

Thanks Kathy i was wondering what we could use ! hopefully Coles has some ?

• Gina J. November 20, 2013, 11:31 pm

I was wondering if this would work well with using like Elmer’s school glue, maybe watered down to thin it out. I am thinking of tackling this project with my 4 yr old step-son next week, as he will be with us for the Thanksgiving holiday & I’ll be at home with him. This looks like fun! I figured that we could make a ‘gift’ for the grandparents from him. I was looking at the JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts online store & they have the Clear Glass Ornaments right now on sale for $2.49 for 12. I just don’t know how to translate the 40 mm size. I just don’t know if they will be ‘normal’ sized or what.
    Here is the link that I found on JoAnn’s website: http://www.joann.com/glass-ornament-40mm-s12/12797817.html#prefn1=isProject&q=glass+ornaments&prefv1=false&start=2
    I was thinking to give it a more fun touch for him, is letting him pick out & place stickers on the ornaments & have him tell me where to glue on rhinestones on them.
    Thanks Y’all!
    Gina from Texas

• Michelle November 21, 2013, 5:54 am

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!! I love glitter and I love to use my kid’s birthstone’s and things on my tree, so this year my tree will be covered in the family’s birthstone ornaments!! I can’t wait to do this! Thank you so much for this awesome idea!!! :)

• Lisa Shartle November 22, 2013, 4:42 am

Thanks so much for sharing this idea, it’s awesome! I was so excited to get started today. I did try it this afternoon and the glitter seems…sparse inside. I am going to try more liquid and glitter next time but wanted to ask if anyone has tried to do the procedure twice to get a thicker layer? I was going to try but didn’t want to ruin what I have (it is usable the way it is, just not as thick as I’d like).

Thanks again, it’s great and can’t wait to cut some vinyl letters with my Cricut Machine and put names and Monograms on them!

• Anonymous November 24, 2013, 7:51 am

I’m going to make these with our girl scout troop. Going to finish decorating them with cupcake liners, snow fluff and a pompom to make them look like glittery cupcakes :)

• Nikki November 25, 2013, 10:41 pm

Is the Martha Stewart 24 pk essential colors glitter fine enough, or is the 12 pk Martha Stewart Iridescent Fine Craft Glitter better?

• ornamentgirl December 1, 2013, 9:15 pm

Nikki…I think I had the 24 pack when I made these the first time, and that was enough to make a few with each one. I made sure to save as much of the glitter as possible when dumping out the excess.

• Maeghan Chambers November 26, 2013, 6:56 pm

Hi! I was wondering if these held up in your attic or non-climate controlled storage during the rest of the year! I live in the South and our summers get really hot and wasn’t sure if they would be okay in my attic!!! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

• ornamentgirl December 1, 2013, 9:12 pm

Maeghan… they sure did. I live in summer, and my attic gets REALLY hot, too! I was worried about how they would do, but both my glass ornaments, and the ones I made with plastic, have held up perfectly. Honestly, I was surprised!

• Julie November 28, 2013, 7:04 am

I followed the tutorial for the ornaments with the floor polish, some turned out great, but others, not so much. The glitter has fallen off in areas leaving bald spots. I was wondering what could cause this? I did clean them out, but with water.

• ornamentgirl December 1, 2013, 9:06 pm

Julie, it could have been that you cleaned them with water only, or maybe that they weren’t dry all the way… that would have caused the floor polish to not coat as well. I noticed a couple of the times that I’ve made these and I got a little impatient before they were all the way dry (lol), the glitter didn’t coat as well. I am not 100% sure if that’s the problem that you had, but it COULD be.

I’m sorry they didn’t turn out as well for you! :/

• Lynn November 29, 2013, 5:52 am

Love this idea. Instead of using stickers I used antique lace to adorn the ornaments. I applied them using Mod Podge. Before I applied the lace I stitched on small pearl drops to the points of the lace. I gave these as christmas gifts to the people in my office. They loved them. My granddaughters love making them in miniature, plus the smaller size is easier for them to handle.

• ornamentgirl December 1, 2013, 9:02 pm

Wow, that’s a great idea! I will have to try that! That would be so pretty with white glitter, white lace, and white pearls… perfect as a wedding ornament, too! Thanks for sharing, Lynn!

• Anonymous November 29, 2013, 9:07 am

My granddaughter made 3 for us this year. Love them

• brianna November 29, 2013, 10:59 am

Can you use regular glitter or is there a special kind of glitter that you have to use???

• ornamentgirl December 1, 2013, 9:01 pm

Brianna…I think as long as you stick to fine glitter, they work really well. Course glitter doesn’t seem to work as well. The fine glitter coats much better.

• tina December 1, 2013, 2:42 am

I made these and did it the way you said to do and mine don’t have the solid glitter looking as yours did.But it might be that I used the plastic bulbs have four kids,dog and cat in house so glass I just don’t think is wise right now.

• ornamentgirl December 1, 2013, 8:59 pm

Hi Tina…. I’ve actually used plastic too, and they came out really well, but it could be one of a couple of other reasons that caused the problem… it could be either that the bulbs weren’t clean and/or dry enough inside before you started, or it could have been the glitter itself. It’s important to use super fine glitter, so that it can really fill in and coat every space evenly. Course glitter doesn’t work as well.

Oh, and I did find that when I used white glitter, it didn’t cover as well either.

I’m sorry they didn’t turn out for you, though! I TOTALLY understand about wanting to use plastic… I’ve got kids and dogs and cats too! lol

• Kris December 1, 2013, 9:34 am

I just finished making 7 of these for our Son’s girlfriends family. Its their first Christmas in their new home. They were easy and the recommendation for using the Holloway floor finish worked great. Thank you all, for this thread, and the great tips!

• ornamentgirl December 1, 2013, 8:54 pm

That’s awesome, Kris…I’m so glad they turned out well for you!

• Cathe December 4, 2013, 1:59 am

When you use the scrapbook stickers do you use glue to adhere to the ornament or just use the sticky backing on the sticker? Does the sticker hold up nicely after being packed away all year?

• Anonymous December 5, 2013, 6:17 am

Does this have to be done with fine glitter or would a more course glitter work as well?

• Sarah December 5, 2013, 6:19 am

Does this have to be done with fine glitter or would it also work with a coarser glitter?

• Sarah December 5, 2013, 6:21 am

Also, where are you finding plastic ornaments? I haven’t been able to find any at Michael’s, hobby lobby, or Joann’s.

• Brianna December 10, 2013, 8:28 am

I ordered mine from Walmart.com

• Kelly D December 6, 2013, 1:00 am

Thanks for the helpful website. I just made some with my seven year old son and they turned out beautiful. Thanks again for the help on how to make them.

• Karen December 7, 2013, 9:21 pm

Is it liquid glitter?

• Bri December 9, 2013, 2:16 am

Do you think if you put the pledge on a q-tip, that you could draw a design and then put the glitter?

• Robin December 10, 2013, 5:12 am

If I don’t have floor wax can I use hairspray ??

• Jane December 10, 2013, 8:05 am

Pledge has two multi-care floor products. Be sure to look at the sticker on the shelf it will say with future wax. The other product is an orange or citrus scent the one with the future is not scented and it is also about $2.00 more. I paid $6.48 for it yesterday at WalMart.

• Mel the Crafty Scientist December 10, 2013, 11:35 am

Love your blog and this project – so creative and fun! Just wanted to let you know I featured it (and several more of your AWESOME projects!) in my roundup of glass ornament crafts here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist