I say nightmare because guess where I am?
NOT on the Gulf Coast!
I am still in my house. Actually, a better way to word that is that I am BACK in my house, after moving out, and then having to move back into it, 10 days later.
Sigh. (<— that’s a sigh of exhaustion, frustration, and disappointment.)
The sordid details…
A couple of weeks ago, a few days before I was supposed to close on the sale of my house, we started packing our moving truck. By the day before closing, everything we owned was packed into it like a puzzle, and I was busy sparkling and shining the house for its new owners-to-be.
And, that afternoon, our buyers asked for an extension. (If only they’d said something just a few days sooner!) Of course we agreed, because really, what else could we do? We know things happen. We were assured that this was only a minor hiccup with their loan process, and not to worry….everything would definitely be ready for a new closing date of 1 week later.
Since I had already withdrawn my kids from school, and since spending a week sleeping on the floor didn’t seem that enticing, we decided to go ahead and drive over to the town we are moving to and live in a vacation rental for the 10 days that we had before closing on our new house. That way, we could at least get the kids started in their new schools.
So with 2 kids, 2 cats, a dog, and everything we owned in a 28 foot U-haul, we lived in a vacation rental for the next week. And that’s when things got really ugly.
The day before the new closing, we were told the buyer’s loan had fallen through. The day before closing. Again!
So, we had to drive back, put everything back into our house, and get my kids back into their old schools.
But, even after all of that, we did get really lucky on a couple of fronts.
First, I immediately put my house back up for sale, and within 2 days, I had 3 offers. I accepted the best (and quickest-to-close) one, and we now have a new closing date for about 3 and a half weeks from now.
And second, the sellers of the house we are buying have been supremely gracious to us throughout all of this, even though they have been just as inconvenienced as we have, and should probably just plain hate us a lot right now. Instead, they’ve agreed to wait this extra month for me to close with my new buyer.
And, the rental house we stayed in really DID give us a little vacation that we hadn’t planned on. Although we were feeling completely stressed out the entire time about everything, it’s really hard not to relax at least a little when you’re right next to water, and I sat out on the dock pretty much every day. I even made lots of ornaments. As my good friend Shannan just told me recently about making them, “It really is therapeutic!” :)
The timing for our new move will be pretty horrible. From now until Christmas, things here at The Ornament Girl HQ get busy, busy, busy, and now we’ll be throwing a move right smack into the middle of it (November 17th). But, I’ve started working on new ornaments and kits anyway, because I am planning a big sale on December 1st. (Make sure you’re on my email list so you get the details, and the discount.)
At least, I’m doing my best, since my workspace looks like this (haha):
By the way, if you have a moving nightmare story, please be sure to share and help me feel a little better about mine. ;)0