A couple of weeks ago, I posted about my craft room makeover, and a few people have asked me how I made my Elvis magnet board. Well, it just so happens that I took pictures of the whole thing. Uh-huhh..
I was inspired to store my beads with a magnetic board when I saw THESE and THIS at Ikea. These are awesome, but the only problem for me was that only a few canisters fit on the magnetic strip (which are $14.99 each…ouch)…I needed a lot more storage than that. By this point, I’d already bought pegboards for the walls, and so I decided to make my own magnetic board with a piece of sheet metal the same size, instead of using the strips from Ikea. (My magnet board is really humongous, but still, this whole thing would work for any size.)
I also didn’t want to spend a fortune buying tons of those canisters (I did buy one pack in the beginning, and they ARE really nice, but…), so I started searching around online for cheaper magnetic canisters. I quickly found that there is no such thing as cheaper magnetic canisters. In fact, these things are ridiculously expensive! But, I did find THESE. Much cheaper to buy a bunch…
I just glued my own magnets to the backs with E6000:
(By the way, I know you’ll be really excited to try out your handiwork, but it’s important to put the lid back on before dashing off with it to find a magnetic surface…a million seed beads everywhere will really slow you down.)
Originally I just planned to stick my piece of sheet metal right to the wall as is, so at the advice of my dad, I drilled a pilot hole in each corner. It’s really easy to drill through sheet metal, even when you’ve only actually used a power drill like once before in your life. At first I thought it must be impossible. I drilled and drilled and the beginnings of a fire were about to erupt. When I took the drill out of reverse though, it went right on through!
Once I got the sheet of metal into my craft room and was about to hang it on the wall, I changed my mind about it. It just looked too ugly. Even though I’d picked the best looking sheet of aluminum I could find at Lowe’s, it still looked icky to me. So I sat on the floor and stared at it for awhile…
And then I looked out the doorway to my living room coffee table and had an epiphany!
I’ve had this book for a few years, and it’s always just sitting there not getting a whole lot of use, but still…it took me about 2 hours before I finally worked up the nerve to tear the first picture out of it.
I picked out a few of my favorites. Which was hard to do. I love Elvis.
And then I spent another hour laying them all out so they would look nice and cover the sheet metal.
Once I had it all laying out the way I wanted, I used Mod Podge to glue it down. I folded the paper that was hanging over the edges around to the back, to cover the sharp edges of the sheet metal.
I attempted 3 coats of a spray on acrylic sealer before I realized I was wasting my time. So I went ahead and Mod Podged the top. I didn’t want it to look glossy, so I used the matte finish Mod Podge. And this ended up doing the trick.
It didn’t take long at all to dry. I stuck a thumbtack through the pilot holes from the back of the sheet, so I could see them again…which is really hard to see in this photo, but it’s a great shot of Elvis and Liberace!
And this…this is what happens when you spend too long looking at pictures of Elvis instead of a mirror. Many thanks to my sister for snapping this photo and alerting me that I should go find my hairbrush or at least maybe a rubber band.
One thing I would still like to do is frame it in with pieces of molding…I think that would really finish it off.
Obviously not everyone is an Elvis fanatic like me, but the possibilities for what you could use to decorate this with are pretty much endless. Book pages, photos, scrapbooking paper…all thanks to Mod Podge, the best thing in the world. After Elvis, of course. Sigh…0