I’m a little bit overdue for an ornament diy (especially since I fell 3 days short of my 12 Days of Christmas project…arggg).
And SO, since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, I’ve got a really cute little heart ornament DIY today. I actually came up with this idea last year using mini red roses (above), and today I made one using black and white roses instead. They are just SO CUTE, I can barely stand it.
The cutest part is that they only take about 10 minutes to make.
Here’s what I used, all found at Michael’s:
- about 10 mini mulberry paper roses
- clear glass heart ornament
- a few inches of chain. I used a really pretty wire-wrapped pearl chain. (this one, to be exact)
- needle nosed pliers
- wire cutters, if your paper roses are attached to stems.
I found these clear, heart shaped ornaments at Michaels last year, at Christmas time…but I believe they carry them up through Valentine’s Day.
First, and as always, make sure the ornament is clean inside. (I describe how to clean them here.)
And these are the mulberry paper roses that I used…they were near the scrapbooking section at Michael’s:
The roses are attached to little wire stems, like this:
They also have a few green leaves, which I didn’t want in this ornament…but they detach very easily. Just peel them off:
(And lordy…it didn’t take long for my horrifying nails to show up, did it? )
Then, snip the stem off using a pair of wire cutters.
And now you can pop them into the ornament.
Oh thank goodness for manicures.
I put about 10 roses inside the ornament. But you could fill it up, and that would be super cute, too.
Put a little glue around the inside of the ornament cap before putting it back on the ornament. And now, you can simply thread the little wire from the ornament cap through one end of the chain you are using, before putting the wire back into the cap of the ornament:
If you need to make the chain shorter, just use your pliers to open a jumpring at the length you want. (I describe how to do that here.)
And that’s it…I love it!
And then I decided this tuxedo needed a boutonniere, so I glued one more rose on the outside of the cap…